RAAF B.20 - A84-219
Plaque
The commerative plaque with A84-219
(Photo : Rodney Nichols)
A84-219
GAF A84-219 amongst the trees at Alex Campebell Park
(Photo : Rodney Nichols)

This Australian built Canberra was constructed in 1958 and had its first flight on May of that year. It was delivered to the charge of the RAAF on 20 June 1958, joining 2 Sqd. It was struck off charge in November 1971.

A84-219 has been preserved as a memorial and is on display in senic looking surroundings in Alex Campbell Park. This park is located in the shire of Rosalie at Brymaroo, a farming locality about 60km northwest of Toowoomba, or about 190km west of Brisbane.

Plaques at the site were unveiled on 28 Feb 1987 and read :

"To commemorate the use of land near this park as an airfield, part of the "Brisbane Line of Defence" during the Second World War. The airfield, known as "Heavy Bombardment Field No1" comprised some 862 acres and was established in 1943. No 99 SQN with Liberator Bombers and USAAF No 15 SQN operated from this airfield."

"Plaque unveiled by GpCapt Arthur Barnes DFC AFC Retd to commemorate the service of the Canberra bomber in the RAAF and the men who flew this aircraft from 1953 to 1985."