RAAF B.20 - A84-232
A84-232 GAF A84-232 on display at Avalon.
(Photo : Neil Fitzclarence)

This Australian built Canberra was constructed in 1956 and had its first flight on 18 July of that year. It was delivered to the charge of the RAAF on 12 June 1957, after spending nearly a year doing what?

It seems to have no RAAF history and is recorded as being fitted with aerial cartographic survey equipment. The fitting of the cartographic euipment entailed cutting a hole in the bomb bay doors to allow them to close around the camera. This can be seen in A84-232's sister ship A84-230 in a photo of 230 taken on its last day in service.

A84-232 was sent to ASTA (ex-GAF) for display in 1985. Neil's photo shows it looking well in September 1993.