B.2/T.17 - WH665

WH665
WH665 at Filton Areodrome, 2000?
WH665
In a sorry state for this old warbird
WH665
WH665 at Filton Areodrome, 2002
WH665
Another angle on this sorry T.17
All photos by Carl Gadd


A "warbird" Canberra! As a B.2, it flew in action, with the RNZAF, in Malaya during the Confrontation troubles period.

Built as a B.2, WH665 was ready for collection in November 1952. It was taken onto RAF charge and issued to the re-forming 10 Sqd at RAF Scampton. Later. dates unknown but before the end of 1958, WH665 was transfered to 45 Sqd - the "Flying Camels - who were operating B.2's out of RAF Conningsby before they re-equipped with B.15's and moved to RAF Tengah (September 1962).

WH665 was one of 15 B.2's loaned to the Royal New Zealand Air Force as part of the Commonwealth Strategic Reserve in 1958. It joined the newly formed RNZAF 75 Sqd at RAF Tengah, Singapore [so it may have actually moved out to Tengah with 45 Sqd], and saw active service in Malaya during the Confrontation period.

After that period, WH665 was handed back to the RAF in 1962 and converted, by BAC, to T.17 standard before joining 360 Sqd at Watton in March 1967. As a T.17, WH665 flew with 360 for the remainder of its service career, moving with them to RAF Wyton in August 1975. It was eventually struck off RAF charge in December 1982, given the ground instructional airframe number of 8763M, and issued to No 2 School of Technical Training at RAF Cosford.

In April 1983, WH665 was on the move again being transfered to Rolls Royce Technical College (Filton) where it remained when BAe took it over in October 1988. It remains on the airfield at Filton, as shown by Carl's pictures, in a sorry state.