B.2/T.17 - WH740
WH740 - 1995
WH740 at East Midlands Aeropark, 1995 (Photo : Allan Barley)
WH740 - 1999
Looking a lot better now after refurb by the AVA guys.
(Photo : Damien Burke)

A "warbird" Canberra! As a B.2, it flew in action, with the RNZAF, in Malaya during the Confrontation troubles period.

Built as a B.2, WH740 was ready for collection in August 1953 and was delivered to 18 Sqd at RAF Scampton and may have moved with them to RAF Upwood in 1955. Its next owner was 40 Sqd who had moved to RAF Upwood from RAF Wittering in October 1955. 40 Sqd closed down in the December of that year which is probably why WH740 is recorded as being with Station Flight at Upwood.

Then things got interesting. WH740 was one of 15 B.2's loaned to the Royal New Zealand Air Force as part of the Commonwealth Strategic Reserve in 1958. It joined the newly formed RNZAF 75 Sqd at RAF Tengah, Singapore, and was in active service in Malaya during Confrontation. After that period, WH740 was handed back to the RAF in 1962 and converted to T.17 standard before joining 360 Sqd at Cottesmore.

It flew with 360 for the remainder of its service career, moving with them to RAF Wyton in August 1975. It eventually was struck off RAF charge in December 1987, given the ground instructional airframe number of 8762M, and sent to No 2 School of Technical Training at RAF Cosford.

WH740 provided many years of service to the young trainees at Cosford (radio trades) and was eventually bought for display by the East Midlands Aeropark at Castle Donnington Airport. Allan Barley's photo shows it on display in 1995.

Update - Damien took some photos at the Aeropark recently and the sample above shows the WH740 is now resplendent in 360 Sqd's colours and looking good after its refurbishment and move to the Aeropark's new site.